Who is Suitable
We only offer pupillages to those candidates who we think have the potential to become tenants and outstanding advocates, and intend to practice at the Bar of England and Wales. We are keen to recruit bright independent-minded people, who thrive on hard work, have the ability to be self-starters, are keen to learn and have something to offer us.
We value diversity and we encourage original thinking. There is no Chambers type. We require a minimum of a 2:1 degree. We do not, however, require a law degree, and many members of Chambers have qualified through the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) Common Professional Examination (CPE).
We apply the same criteria to our applicants for pupillage as we apply in our selection of potential tenants. They are:
- Academic achievement and intellectual ability
- Analytical skills – including the ability to absorb complex information rapidly and identify essentials
- Common sense and sound judgment - including the ability to remain pragmatic and practical
- Written skills – ability to prepare clear, precise and accurate written work; ability to present arguments persuasively in writing
- Advocacy / public speaking / oral presentation skills – ability to present an oral argument clearly, persuasively, appropriately and with confidence and impact
- Resilience and independence – ability to work independently, seeking guidance where necessary; does not back away from tackling difficult or stressful situations; remains calm and in control under pressure
- Motivation/Capacity for hard work – level of drive and determination; conscientiousness, commitment to a career at the Bar and understanding of what a career as a barrister in chambers entails
- Impact and ability to deal with people – including articulacy; confidence; perceptiveness; and ability to build productive working relationships (whether with judges, lay clients, professional clients, other members of the Bar, clerks)
We are committed to equal opportunities and diversity and aim to select candidates for both pupillage and tenancy solely on merit irrespective of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
We will consider any reasonable adjustments needed to ensure that you can participate in our selection process fairly.